“St. Andrew’s United Church is the oldest United Church
building in continuous service in British Columbia.
The Sanctuary, built in 1885 is over 120 years old”
The site of this church was donated by James Mackie, Langley’s first Reeve (warden). The designs for the church were provided by Henry Hoy of New Westminster, and it was built by contractor Thomas Turnbull for a total cost of about $1,000. The original structure was 22 by 40 feet, and held 150 people. It is noted for its Carpenter Gothic-style architecture which includes west-coast wooden construction with a peaked roof, tall front spire and peaked doors and windows.
It was the first church to be built in Langley and the second Presbyterian church to be built on the mainland of British Columbia. The dedication was held on Sunday, September 27, 1885 with Reverend Robert Jamieson and Reverend Alexander Dunn officiating.
Although not part of the original plans, the spire and belfry were added during the course of construction with the cost defrayed by Henry Wark, a factor of the Hudson’s Bay Company and postmaster in Fort Langley. Mr. Wark also donated the original bell for the spire which is claimed by the local community to be from the Hudson’s Bay Company Steamer ‘Beaver’, the first steamship to ply the Fraser River.
In 1970 the original spire and belfry were destroyed by fire which also partially destroyed the original bell. This structure was quickly rebuilt and is as you see it today. This is the oldest church in continuous use in B.C. Originally a Presbyterian church, it became a United Church following church union (the union of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregationalist churches of Canada to form the United Church of Canada). Inside, the sanctuary glows in the mid-day sun from the stained glass windows. It still has its original pews, doors, windows and flooring. The setting of St. Andrew’s Church has landmark status due to its location on a historically important road (Glover Road – formerly Trunk Road).